feedback
  • en
    • en
    • hr
    • de
    • fr
    • it
    • pl
You are on: Find destination > Cultural Monuments > Village Gate

Village Gate

Village Gate used to be a name of a medieval city entrance whereas from the 16th to the end of the 19th century, it became the entrance to the fortified village. Venetians demolished the city in 1125. Biograd was then reconstructed during the wars in the 16th century. At that time, it was enclosed by a defensive wall with three rectangular and one pentagonal tower turned towards the mainland and the area of Jaza. Above a semi-circular door there was an emblem and inscription of Alvise Grimani, the general governor of Dalmatia and Albania. The inscription provides details on city's reconstruction of the late 16th century:

ALOYSIUS (Grimani)
DALMATIAE ET (Albaniae provisor generalis)
ANTIQUA (moenia urbis)
RESTA (uravit)
ANNO DOMINI 1573 – 1575

ALVISE GRIMANI, THE GENERAL GOVERNOR OF DALMATIA AND ALBANIA,
REVIVED OLD CITY RAMPARTS IN ANNO DOMINI 1573 – 1575.

During an archaeological excavation in 2008, remains of city walls and gate were found.
 


Biograd Photos
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
Weather Forecast
weather icon 16°C
Humidity 93.8 %
Air pressure 1022 hPa
Visibility 10 km
Wind speed 7.6 kph
Contact info

Tourist Board of the City of Biograd na Moru

Put Solina 4
23210 Biograd na Moru
Tel. +385 (0)23 383 123, 385 382
Fax. +385 (0)23 383 123
E-mail: info@tzg-biograd.hr

Tourist Board of the City of Biograd na Moru htz logo Cookie Policy HTML5, CSS3, PHP by:  nove vibracije logo Nove vibracije