feedback
  • en
    • en
    • hr
    • de
    • fr
    • it
    • pl
You are on: Find destination > Cultural Monuments > Ćokovac Monastery

Ćokovac Monastery

In 1125 Biograd was completely ruined by the Venetians. They also damaged the Benedictine monastery of St. John the Evangelist after which the monks firstly took shelter in Šibenik, and later on transferred to the island of Pašman. The monastery is located at the top of the hill Čokovac, near the maritime city of Tkon. The Chapel of St. Cosmas and Damian was already there, so the monks built a Romanic church and a fortified monastery. The Venetians destroyed it in 1345 and imprisoned the monks. The monastery and church had been reconstructed for years until their final consecration in 1418. For its exceptional contribution, the monastery gained a sort of independence proclaimed by several popes. It is believed that the monks accepted the invitation of the Chezc King Charles IV to preach Glagolitic and Slavic language. Also, there are assumptions that the monastery possesses the first form of Glagolitic scripts in liturgical texts, as numerous old Glagolitic scripts from the 13th century have been preserved. Out of valuable artistic works, the church stores a large gothic style crucifix dating back to the 15th century. It is a work of art of a Venetian painter Menegelo (195 cm long x 164 cm wide). Except the crucifix, the monastery also stores a precious portrait of the Virgin Mary. These are the only exhibits of this sort conserved after the French government closed the monastery in 1808. In 1961, after more than 150 years, the monastery opened its doors. Since then it has been modestly renovated. It is available to visitors from June 1st to October 31st between 4.00 p.m. and 6.00 p.m. or on appointment.


Biograd Photos
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
  • biograd images
Weather Forecast
weather icon 15°C
Humidity 77.0 %
Air pressure 1014 hPa
Visibility 10 km
Wind speed 9.4 kph
Contact info

Tourist Board of the City of Biograd na Moru

Put Solina 4
23210 Biograd na Moru
Tel. +385 (0)23 383 123, 385 382
Fax. +385 (0)23 383 123
E-mail: info@tzg-biograd.hr

Tourist Board of the City of Biograd na Moru htz logo Cookie Policy HTML5, CSS3, PHP by:  nove vibracije logo Nove vibracije